Following a record number of entries this year, writing.ie have announced the names of the eighteen longlisted authors for An Post IBAs Writing.ie Short Story of the Year Award.
Judges for this year’s competition are: Madeleine Keane, Literary editor of the Sunday Independent, Literary Agent Simon Trewin and Bob Johnston from the Gutter Bookshop.
The short list will be announced on 20th October 2020, when the stories will be published on Writing.ie and the public will be invited to vote for their favourite story. The winning story will then be announced on 25th November 2020 at the An Post Irish Book Awards online event. RTE will televise the Awards Show on 10th December.
The long listed authors* are as follows (in no particular order).
**A note to publisher and authors on the longlist: in order to keep the judging anonymous throughout, please don’t share the title of your story!
- Barbara Byar
- Caoilinn Hughes
- Stephen Walsh
- Christine Dwyer Hickey
- Naoise Dolan
- Ronan Hession
- June Caldwell
- David Butler
- Kit de Waal
- Billy O’Callaghan
- Dermot Bolger
- Jaki McCarrick
- Chiamaka Enyi-Amadi
- Chris Wright
- Louise Farr
- Louise Kennedy
- John O’Donnell
- Niamh Campbell
- Jamie O’Connell ‘The Wedding at Cana’ from The Irish Times
- Robin Fuller ‘Chinese Whispers’ from The Stinging Fly, Issue 42
- Éilís Ní Dhuibhne ‘Little Red’ from Little Red, Blackstaff Press
- John Mulkeen ‘Oh Bend Your Backs’ from Fish Anthology 2020
- Katie McDermott ‘Symptoms’ from Banshee #10
- Alan McCormick ‘Where is the Light?’ from Lit Sphere Ezine, Strands Publishers
- Wishing all the authors the best of luck!
Congratulations to all the authors and best of luck!