Vacancy for Commissioning Editor at HarperCollins Ireland
Could you discover best-selling and award-winning books of the future? Could you help authors reach their full potential? Would you like to play a crucial role in a growing business?
A rare vacancy has opened up with the team at HarperCollins Ireland, who are seeking the right person for the role of Commissioning Editor. This is a brilliant opportunity to join an innovative and ambitious operation in world publishing—and to be integral in shaping the identity of its Irish trade division.
HarperCollins Ireland, established in 2020, is committed to publishing diverse and exciting voices in Irish fiction and non-fiction, as well as promoting and selling titles from across the HarperCollins Group.
The publisher of several books on different shortlists at the An Post Irish Books Awards 2022, Time and Tide, by Charlie Bird, with Ray Burke won the Dubray Biography of the Year and Girls Who Slay Monsters, by Ellen Ryan, illustrated by Shone Shirley MacDonald picked up the Specsavers Children’s Book of the Year (Senior).
Key tasks and accountabilities
- Identifying new publishing opportunities across a range of genres (fiction & non-fiction)
- Engaging with authors and agents to acquire titles
- Collaborating with colleagues to build and execute effective publishing campaigns
- Establish strong relationships with partners elsewhere in the trade and national media
- Represent HarperCollins Ireland at industry events
- Experience working in publishing, bookselling or media
- Experience leading and managing creative projects
- Contacts across a range of Irish media
- A passion for new writing and publishing
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- The capacity to identify promising ideas and authors across a range of genres
- The confidence to take the initiative in leading projects
- The vision, energy, and technical skill to help authors realise their creative potential
- The entrepreneurial acumen to lead commercial negotiations and direct creative teams efficiently
- The ability to manage several competing projects simultaneously
- A nuanced grasp of contemporary developments in Irish media, culture, and society