‘In times of crisis, historical fiction is both reassurance and escape’.
The 2020 Walter Scott Prize shortlist has been announced including Irish authors Christine Dwyer Hickey and Joseph O’Connor.
The historical fiction prize is worth £25,000 with each shortlisted author receiving €1,500. Previous Irish winners include Sebastian Barry for Days Without End in 2016.
Typically the winner is announced in June at the Borders Book Festival in Melrose but as a result of the Covid-19 outbreak plans for the announcement are under review.
Walter Scott Prize 2020 shortlist
- The Narrow Land by Christine Dwyer Hickey
- The Parisian by Isabella Hammad
- To Calais, In Ordinary Time by James Meek
- Shadowplay by Joseph O’Connor
- The Redeemed by Tim Pears
- A Sin of Omission by Marguerite Poland
For more info on the Walter Scott Prize: https://www.walterscottprize.co.uk/